Belatedly Blogging

This is my second blog but my first on my main field: journalism. (I blogged for a year on the history of disbelief for the Institute for Future of the Book.) This effort is inspired by two ongoing book projects:  Beyond News on the future of journalism for Columbia University Press; and Journalism Unbound on new directions for journalism and journalism education for Oxford University Press. I plan to try out some ideas for both projects here.

But this blog has also been motivated by the itch to weigh in more regularly on journalism and the news — an itch that has grown more insistent of late. There’s never any shortage of news and, as I like to point out, there’s always a lively debate on coverage of that news. Still, that debate has grown particularly interesting in recent years as old forms of journalism die and new forms are created.

I’ll have things to say about the deaths and the births — mostly from a historical perspective. I will argue that the future 0f journalism and the future of news are not the same. I will pounce on some of the limitations of journalism — old and new — and call, not surprisingly, for it to become wiser, deeper, broader. I will also suggest, and this is more controversial, that journalism ought to obsess less about the events of the day and more about interpreting the events of the day.

I flatter myself in thinking that, along the way, I might correct some misunderstandings and shed some light. We’ll see.

About Mitchell Stephens

Mitchell Stephens, a professor of Journalism in the Carter Institute at New York University, is the author most recently of "Imagine There’s No Heaven: How Atheism Helped Create the Modern World" (Palgrave Macmillan), "Beyond News: The Future of Journalism" (Columbia University Press) and "Journalism Unbound: New Approaches to Writing and Reporting" (Oxford University Press). He also wrote "A History of News" (Viking, Penguin, Oxford) and "the rise of the image the fall of the word" (Oxford), along with two widely used journalism textbooks.
This entry was posted in Future of journalism., Journalism education. Bookmark the permalink.