Journalism in Ghana
Journalism in Ghana is an intensive six-week experience in immersion journalism. Students follow a rigorous schedule and actively participate in reporting, writing, photographing, or filming almost every day. Students who wish to develop their reporting pieces further after returning to the U.S. will have the opportunity to do so.
- Journalism and Society: Cultural Context of African Media — JOUR-UA 9503 (4 credits)
- Elective Reporting Topics: Reporting Africa — JOUR-UA 9204 (4 credits)
- Food, Culture & Globalization: Accra — FOOD-UE 9186 (2 credit)
Summer 2022 Key Dates
Arrival and Departure
- Student Arrival: May 23, 2022.
- Student Departure: July 2, 2022.
Sample Projects by Past Participants
- “How Ghana’s Biggest Slum Copes With Climate Change-Fueled Floods” by Mariana Fernandez
- “Meet the Passionate Artists Who Are Building An Animation Industry in Ghana” by Daniel Paez
- “Ghana’s First Microbrewery Is Changing the Way Beer Is Made in Africa” by Louise Matsakis
- “In Ghana, Women and ‘Market Queens’ Dominate the Economy” by Maggie O’Neill