First Amendment Watch is currently seeking a full-time Researcher/Writer in New York to research and build site content and promote our work on social media.First Amendment Watch (firstamendmentwatch.org) is an online news and educational resource for journalists, educators and students. Our goal is to increase civic engagement by providing the tools for citizens of all ages to better understand their rights. The site documents contemporary threats to the freedoms of speech, press, assembly, and petition—rights that are specified in the First Amendment. We provide links to wide-ranging coverage as well as analysis and commentary from varying points of view. We also offer original content explaining the legal and historical background behind each controversy, including discussion of relevant court decisions. In addition, we provide book excerpts of leading First Amendment writers and excerpt important First Amendment historical documents and case decisions. We round out our resources with a glossary of terms and links to resources for further study.Competitive salary and full NYU benefits package.
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism or Communications preferred, Masters degree is a plus.
- Minimum one-year full-time professional news reporting experience preferred.
- Knowledge of local and national current events, newsmakers, and issues particularly related to First Amendment.
- Able to efficiently research and contribute content to all platforms, including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
- A working knowledge of basic content management systems (CMS) such as WordPress and/or Drupal is essential. A fair knowledge of InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop is preferable.
- Knowledge of MailChimp and newsletter campaigns.
- Experience using Google Analytics and similar tools.
- Ability to shoot video.
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. We are requesting a cover letter, resume and two writing samples (links acceptable).