Financial Aid

Graduate students studying in the Arthur L. Carter Journalism Institute at New York University are eligible for several funding opportunities available through New York University in the form of tuition scholarships, graduate assistantships, and various fellowships. These awards are, however, extremely competitive.

Nearly all students in the Arthur L. Carter Journalism Institute, like the majority of MA students in other departments at NYU, are financing their own graduate study through external funding awards or student loans. Some U.S. applicants may also be eligible for the federal work study program.

Information on scholarships & fellowships can be found at this link. Other funding opportunities, such as external funding opportunities, student loans, and the federal work study program can be found below.

External Funding Opportunities

Tuition Incentive Program (TIP)

The NYU Graduate School of Arts & Science (GSAS) offers the innovative Tuition Incentive Program (TIP), which encourages students to apply for external funding awards and, in return, provides tuition support to recipients of external scholarships or fellowships who have been admitted to graduate study in GSAS at New York University.

Students receiving external awards of $13,000 or more from recognized, academic sources of funding outside of the University can apply for matching tuition remission up to the amount of their outside award. Students receiving less than $13,000 may apply for matching tuition remission up to 50 percent of the amount of the external award.

Complete information on TIP, including eligibility requirements, restrictions, and an application is available as a download. Students must be admitted to NYU and planning to enroll before determinations will be made with regard to the TIP eligibility of particular external awards. These determinations are made by the Graduate School of Arts and Science.

Prospective students are encouraged to start looking for external funding opportunities in the Fall as they are submitting their graduate school applications. Additional information on sources of external funding may be found on the NYU-GSAS Graduate Enrollment Services (GES) web site.

Students applying to graduate school through exchange programs like the Fulbright program should ensure that they complete all application requirements for the NYU Arthur L. Carter Journalism Institute and the Journalism concentration to which they are applying.

Student Loans

U.S. applicants interested in federal student loans should fill out the FAFSA application after January 1 of the year in which they are seeking admission:

Detailed information on filing the FAFSA application is found on-line at the NYU Financial Aid website. The NYU Federal School Code is 002785. At the graduate level, federal financial aid consists primarily of federal subsidized and unsubsidized student loans.

International applicants interested in student loans can find sources of loans available to international students at the NYU Financial Aid website. The website also lists other resources available to international applicants and students.

Federal Work Study

Some U.S. applicants may be eligible for the Federal Work-Study program, which makes available paid employment opportunities within the University. Admitted students should receive notification of eligibility, which is needs tested, in their financial aid award letter. Positions may be obtained through the NYU Wasserman Center for Career Development.

Interested applicants need to fill out the FAFSA application after January 1 of the year in which they are seeking admission; the application is available at