NYU Global Programs
More students from NYU study abroad than from any other American university. And with 15 study away locations, it’s not hard to see why.
As NYU students based in New York, you’re already studying in the media capital of the world. But now, more than ever, journalism is an international profession, and we encourage all journalism students to take advantage of opportunities to study away.
Currently, only journalism electives are offered, and these are typically offered at about half of NYU’s study away locations. A few tips and things to note:
- Journalism courses offered at NYU’s study away sites are managed by NYU Global Programs, so you’ll want to go to them for detailed information about course offerings. Visit the Global Programs website for more information, and contact Global Programs if you have further questions.
- If you take journalism courses at any of NYU’s study away sites (i.e., courses listed as JOUR-UA), Albert will automatically count them towards the journalism major.
- Some journalism courses offered at study away sites are cross-listed with other departments. If a course appears to be full when you go to register, you can try registering under the cross-listed course number.
Typical Locations + Courses
The Global Programs website (specifically the “Academics” section for each study away site) has the most current, detailed information about journalism courses offered abroad. The list below is of study away sites that offered journalism courses during the 2019-2020 academic year and is meant to give students a general idea of where they can likely take journalism courses while studying away.
- Methods and Practice: Reporting Africa JOUR-UA 9202 (Fall 2019)
- Journalism and Society: Cultural Contexts and African Media JOUR-UA 9503 (Spring 2020)
- Journalism & Society: Leaks and Whistleblowers JOUR-UA 9503 cross-listed as MCC-UE 9111) (Fall 2019)
- Reporting Buenos Aires JOUR-UA 9204 (Spring 2020)
- Methods and Practice: Reporting the Arts JOUR-UA 9202 (Fall 2019 and Spring 2020)
- Journalism and Society: From Broadsheets to Bullets JOUR-UA 9503 (Fall 2019 and Spring 2020)
- Madrid Stories: Engaging with the City Through Documentary Film JOUR-UA 9204 (cross-listed as SPAN-UA 9661) (Fall 2019 and Spring 2020)
- Elective Reporting Topics: International Reporting JOUR-UA 9204 (Fall 2019)
- Global Media Seminar: East-Central Europe JOUR-UA 9505 (cross-listed as MCC-UE 9453) (Spring 2020)
- Production and Publication: Travel Writing JOUR-UA 9302 (Spring 2020)
- Journalism and Society: Science, Politics, and the Environment JOUR-UA 9503 (cross-listed as ENVST-UA 9503) (Fall 2019 and Spring 2020)
- Reporting Armed Conflict JOUR-UA 9204 (Fall 2019)
- Journalism & Society: Science, Politics, & the Environment JOUR-UA 9503 (cross-listed as ENVST-UA 9503) (Fall 2019)
- Journalism Ethics & First Amendment Law JOUR-UA 9502 (Fall 2019 and Spring 2020)
- Methods and Practice: Truthiness, Spin, Media & Politics JOUR-UA 9202 (Spring 2020)