Open Studio Night
The Studio 20 program at NYU presents:
Open Studio night: Thursday Dec. 13, 2018, 6 to 8 pm
Studio 20 graduates will present their final projects. Drinks and hors d’oeuvres will be served. Conversation will be had.
Luminaries of the digital journalism community in New York will attend, along with family and friends, and of course Studio 20 alumni.
Josh Benton, director of Harvard’s Nieman Lab, will once again present his slide show: “The Year in Innovation: 2018.”
Greetings from the Studio 20 program at NYU: still the world’s only studio program in journalism education, focused on innovation, project-based learning, and figuring out where news needs to go.
Every year at the fall term draws to a close we put on Open Studio Night, in which the program’s graduating students present their final projects in innovation, which they have spent six months working on. This year’s projects (there are 8) include:
- A database for innovative projects at the Wall Street Journal
- A guide for news start-ups that need a revenue strategy at Civil
- Creating news videos for smartphone on smartphones at Facebook
- How to survive and thrive after algorithm changes using CrowdTangle
- A “swipe right” method for news personalization
- Why (some) newsrooms should take a serious look at the Twitch platform
- Giving Barrons, a leading source of financial news, a presence on Reddit
- A clearer view into referral sources using Parse.ly data
As we do every year, we have asked Josh Benton, director of Nieman Lab, to review the year in journalism innovation and prepare a slide show that presents the highlights: the companies, the products, the tools, the people, the platforms and the ideas that pushed journalism forward this year. It is always instructive.
So please make plans to join us: Thursday, December 13 at NYU Journalism, 20 Cooper Square, New York, NY, 7th floor. Cocktails and chatter, 6 pm. Presentations begin: 6:30 sharp. You’re done by 8 pm, but can hang out and drink with us after.
You can RSVP by emailing me, Jay Rosen, at this address: firstname.lastname@example.org And if you can’t come I would love to hear from you anyway. Catch me up on what you’re doing! Best…