- Application Opens: Thursday, November 7, 2019
- Application Deadline: Tuesday, February 18, 2020
- Award Notification: May 2020
- Project Completion Deadline: Tuesday, December 1, 2020
While the institute welcomes applications from journalists working in virtually any field or country, there are some eligibility restrictions. The following individuals are not eligible to apply for the Reporting Award:
- NYU Affiliates
- Recent NYU graduates (degrees dated 2017 or later)
- Journalists holding staff positions at established media outlets that are in a position to fund such projects on their own.
The Institute welcomes applications from international journalists; you do not need to be a U.S. citizen nor do you need to reside in the U.S. to be eligible. However, the work that the award supports must be in English and must be accepted for publication by a reputable media outlet with a wide circulation. The publication does not need to be U.S.-based, but it should be well known.
Areas of Conflict
The Institute does not fund proposals to report from locations where there is a conflict that might imperil journalists, nor will it support projects deemed by the selection committee to have a high level of risk for the applicant.
The Institute will select one or several winners of The Reporting Award. Each winner may receive a different award amount, at the discretion of the selection committee. The maximum award amount is $12,500.
Regardless of the total award amount, the disbursement of the award is divided into two payments:
- $2,500 is paid upon the Institute’s acceptance of the proposal and signing of an award agreement.
- The balance of the award amount is paid upon completion of the work by the project completion deadline, provided the Institutes awards committee judges the work to be acceptable. The Institute expects that the completed work will be published in a reputable media outlet of wide circulation.
In addition to monetary support, the award winners are granted access to the Arthur L. Carter Journalism Institute’s facilities as well as well as NYU’s libraries and other scholarly resources.
For detailed information about the terms of The Reporting Award, please see the Terms of Agreement.
Email The Reporting Award team at email@example.com.